Key responsibilities for a Club Secretary normally include:
- Assembling the Agenda for Committee Meetings (in conjunction with the Chairman), taking minutes at the meetings, and distributing the agenda and minutes to the Committee
- Sending and receiving information from the BB&O Area Secretary, and ensuring this information is passed on to other committee members and, where appropriate, to club members.
- Maintaining a list of club members with relevant contact details, ideally with email addresses
- Ensuring the Area Secretary is kept up-to-date with all administrative information relating to the club.
- Booking (often in conjunction with the Treasurer and/or Chairman) venues for meetings and other events
- In many clubs the Secretary will keep members up-to-date with forthcoming events via a Newsletter or email.
Club Record Form and Data Protection
Club details are held on BB&O and NAFAS databases for administration purposes. Some details are also held on the BB&O and NAFAS websites. Club Secretaries should follow this link to complete the online Club Record Form whenever there are changes, and at least annually following their AGM.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Any club officer on the Club’s Mail Forwarding List (see Club Record) must also complete a GDPR form. This can be done by using the BBandO Data Protection Club Contacts on Web Agreement Form which should then be emailed from their email address to Media Officer and Area Secretary. Alternatively complete the on-line Web Agreement Form
In order to update NAFAS and facilitate appropriate publication of achievements (eg in Focal Points or other news channels) Club Secretaries should submit Club Awards forms as soon as possible after each of the following events. Note – it is not necessary to complete a form for BB&O Area shows as these results will already be known.
RHS Chelsea Flower Show Awards
RHS Malvern Flower Show Awards
NAFAS Flower Show Awards
Harrogate Flower Show Awards
Other Flower Show Awards
NAFAS Guidelines for Club Secretaries
The following additional guidelines from NAFAS for club secretaries may be downloaded and printed 2 pages/sheet and folded to form a booklet