Key responsibilities for a Club Treasurer normally included:
- Managing club finances by receiving income and paying bills via appropriate use of bank accounts. On-line banking may be used if agreed by the committee
- Ensuring financial viability of the club and report current status regularly to the rest of the committee
- Keeping proper records of money coming into and out of the club
- Arranging for the club accounts to be checked and certified annually by a competent independent examiner and presenting these to the club AGM
- Ensure affiliation fees are paid to the Area Treasurer annually by 31st March
Affiliation fees must be paid annually by end of March – see Affiliation Fees
NOTE extension to 31st May for 2021. Fees payable for 2021 include:
NAFAS fee = £6.10 (or 10p for juniors)
BB&O fee = £2 (free for juniors) – NOTE this £2 fee for 2021 is half the normal fee to help clubs survive the COVID crisis
Total fee: £8.10 (including Honorary Members
Information is required annually by 31st October recording the amount of money the club has contributed to charitable organisations. Please see Charity Donations.
Paying Judges, Demonstrators, Speakers and Teachers
When paying NAFAS judges, demonstrators, speakers or teachers the programme secretary should have a record of the contract on Part B of the Blue Form. This should be passed to the treasurer at the time of payment. For more information see Blue Forms Process. Reference should be made to NAFAS-Recommended-Mileage-Rates when paying judges, demonstrators, speakers and teachers. If the cost of fuel should fall below £1.31p per litre, NAFAS recommends that the HMRC approved rate of 45p per mile, is the minimum offered to and claimed by presenters.
Guidelines for Club Management
See Guidelines, Policies and Processes for guidelines and processes relevant to club management. However it is worth noting that many of the NAFAS guidelines were produced some time ago and not guaranteed to be up to date, so it may be more useful to search for appropriate information on the internet.