Follow these links to recent updates on this website
- Local Events: Waterperry Gardens flower festival 21-22 Sep
- Local Events: Winter Flora Tales by Mig Kimpton 29 Nov in Maidenhead
- NAFAS 2019 Christmas Cards order information – Admin/Publications Officers
- If programme secretaries would like to collect Blue Forms at the Sep council meeting please email Area Secretary BEFORE 26th August. See Admin/Programme Secretaries for more information
- 2019 Club Charity Donations form – see Admin/Treasurers
- 2019 Club Awards form – see Admin/Secretaries
- 2020 form for receiving printed copies of area council meetings – see Admin/Area Management
Tickets for Thu 8th at the Diamond Show
Stony Stratford Flower Club have 10 spare tickets for the Diamond Show on Thursday 8th August. Please contact :Judy Parker if you would like them – especially if your club would like all 10 tickets @ £15 each.
Results at Blenheim Palace Flower Show
Congratulations to the following on their special awards:
Best in Show: Alison Mount in Class 8 – Illusions
Runner-up to Best in Show: Maidenhead Flower Club in Class 1 – The Big Top
Best Use of Colour: Jane Belcher in Class 6 – Flying Trapeze
Best Use of Foliage: Jan Gregory in Class 2 – In the Spotlight
Best Interpretation: Maidenhead Flower Club in Class 1 – The Big Top
Judges Choice: Jane Belcher in Class 8 – Illusions
Flower Arranger Award: Catherine Lee in Class 3 – Clowning Around
BB&O Area Cup for Photograhy: Patricia Anchors in Class 10 – In the Spotlight
People’s Choice for Imposed class: Lynda Ayris
For a full list of results see 2019 Blenheim Palace Flower Show Results
Recent updates on the website
- Area Events – outline information for the AGM and the 2020 Area Day, plus updates re Blenheim
- Local Events – Berkshire Show and some other local show schedules
- Beyond our Area – Details of the Shrewsbury show – clubs can get financial help for entering the club class
- NAFAS and WAFA Events – Extra information about the Diamond Show, including the coach booking form. Also informaton and links regarding WAFA India
- Club Special Events – details of forthcoming club special event
- Area Workshops – Dates, worksheets and application forms for forthcoming workshops
- Other Learning Opportunities and Club Practical Sessions – links and summaries of learning opportunities in addition to area workshops
- Focal Points – PDF of the Summer edition
- Photos – new photo albums
Successes at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
Congratulations to the following on their awards at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Jane Belcher from Oxford Flower Club, BB&O Teachers Association and Greys Flora achieved Gold in Class D, Silhouette
- Gillian Harries and Barbara Hunt from Newbury Floral Society achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Susie Barwick and Sandie Draper from Phoenix Design achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Melissa Fletcher from Abingdon Flower Club achieved Bronze in Class C, Diamond Days
- Theresa Rodrigues (one of our area demonstrators) achieved Silver in Class B, Avant Garde
- Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Bronze in Class B, Avant Garde
Successes at RHS Malvern Spring Show
Congratulations to the following on their awards at RHS Malvern:
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Silver in Class 2, View from a Window
- Stephanie Peniket (one of our trainee demonstrators) from Gerrards Cross Flower Club achieved 3rd in Class 6, Kaleidoscope
- Barbara Bowman from Oxford Flower Club achieved Very Highly Commended in Class 7, Pop Art
- Marion Daleki was awarded 1st for her miniature and 3rd for her petite
- Jan Gregory was awarded 1st for her entry in the craft clss.
Highlights from A Night at the Movies
What an amazing day was had by all on Friday 22nd March. Many thanks to Alison, Irene, Jane, Frances and everyone else who contributed to making it such a success.
The fist batch of photos are now on the area Movie Night Album, more to follow when Mary returns from holiday.
The competition winners were:
Fit for a Diva:-Judge’s Choice – Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC. People’s Choice – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC.
Ice Cream Sundae:-Judge’s Choice – Catherine Lee from Wantage FC. People’s Choice – Pat Chermside from Royal WIndsor.
After a tie-breaker involving 5 competitors the winner of the Movie Quiz was Jenny Horton. Download 2019 Movies Quiz Answers if you would like to see the answers. Please contact Irene Manson if you would like to borrow the quiz sheets for club or family events.
Blenheim Palace Area Show Schedule
The schedule for the 2019 Area Show at Blenheim Palace is now available on the Area Events page. Printed copies will be available for collection at the Area Council Meeting on Monday 4 March
After the success of the Footsteps Flower Festival several people commented it would be a good idea to produce cards with some of the images. The first packs of cards (reference DORCHESTER-1) are now available in pack of 6 cards with envelopes for £4. These will be on sale at all area events in the foreseeable future, or can be ordered by emailing BB&O Trading.
Would you like to steward?
Stewarding at public events is an ideal opportunity to publicise our organisation and our clubs. It can be great fun, and usually means you get free entry to the show. In 2019 we are looking for stewards at the following events:
RHS Chelsea: on public days 22-25th May, plus press day on Mon 21st, and overnight staging on Sun 20th and Wed 23rd. If you could help please contact Jilly Griffin. More details about what is involved can be downloaded from Stewarding at RHS Chelsea
The NAFAS Diamond Floral Art and Design Show on public days 8-10th August and on staging day on 7th August. If you are interested please download the application NAFAS Floral Flower Show – Stewarding Form
The Area Show at Blenheim Palace Flower Show on public days 21-23 June plus staging day on 20th. More details on this will be available in the new year.
News from the 2018 AGM
The rose bowl for the club raising the most money for charity in 2018 was presented to Maidenhead Flower Club for raising £1336.12.
The silver platter for the club which had the largest increase in orders for the Flower Arranger was awarded to Anne Turner from Sonning Flower Club.
The Penelope Everett silver bowl for the BB&O Person of the Year was presented jointly to Melissa Fletcher from Abingdon Flower Club and Jean Barker from Thame Flower Club in recognition of their outstanding work for their respective clubs. Jean will hold it for the first 6 months and then pass it to Melissa.
The new Diane Gill Memorial Trophy for the most innovative contemporary design of the year in any RHS, Area or NAFAS show was awarded to Shirley Sexton for her RHS Chelsea design which was also awarded Best in Second Session at that show.
Alison Vacher was elected as the new Area Treasurer. A gift card was given to Helen Smith as a Thank You for the work she has done over the last 6 years as area treasurer.
Jean Barker from Thame Flower Club brought Pudsey Bear and raised £278.50 for Children in Need – that’s £70 more than last year.
Alison Mount, the BB&O Area Chairman presented cheques for £7360 each to Susan Twitchett on behalf of the Footsteps Foundation and Sue Booys, Rector of Dorchester Abbey as a result of money raised at the Footsteps Flower Festival. In addition each received specific donations and Gift Aid.
The meeting was followed by an enjoyable lunch and a demonstration entitled ‘Christmas Carols’ where Carole Dorward demonstrated ‘The Holly and the Ivy’; Carol Ferris demonstrated ‘We Three KIngs’; and Carol Bennett demonstrated ‘Hark the Herald Angels Sing’. The stage looked amazing when they had finished.
Register for Electronic News here – News Service
14th October – Winners of Footprint competition
1st October – Footsteps photos now available
Photos from the Footsteps flower festival are now available under the Photos tab.
We are planning to get a selection of the designs printed as greetings cards to be available at the area AGM. We are also considering producing a calendar featuring a selection of designs from the festival. Please email email@example.com if you think this is a good idea.
Focal Points now on line
Focal Points will now be available for download from the Focal Points page line for members who are unable to collect their copy from club meetings. Edition 37 (Summer 2018) is now available, and all future editions will be available at the same time as they are distributed at council meetings
Jane Rowton-Lee: National Associate of Honour
We are delighted to announce that Jane Rowton-Lee, past BB&O Area President and current coordinator for flowers at Westminster Abbey has been awarded the prestigious NAFAS National Associate of Honour award.
Well done and many congratulations to Jane. We are proud of her.
26th June 2018 – Awards at Blenheim Palace Flower Show
Best in Show: Margaret Lang & Sue John from Bladon & Woodstock Flower in Class 3
Runner-Up to Best in Show: Jane Haas & Shirley Sexton from Greys Flora in Class 4
See 2018 Blenheim Palace Show Results for the full set of awards
6th June 2018 – Masquerade Winner – Jane Haas
Jane Haas won the area round of the WAFA Elimination competition at Benson on 4th June. She will now go on to represent the area at the national Masquerade event in Leicester in August. We wish her the best of luck. Photos of the other 3 entries will be available shortly, but for the time being we will not be publishing Jane’s design as we would not wish to compromise her entry in Leicester
25th May 2018 – Congratulations on RHS Malvern and Chelsea Awards
At RHS Malvern Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC and Greys Flora was awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘A Light Bulb Moment’
At RHS Chelsea:
- Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC and Greys Flora was awarded Gold in class ‘Light and Shadow’ and Best in 2nd Session
- Jane Belcher from Oxford FC and BB&O Teachers Association was awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘Formation’
- Frances Buchan and Jackie Nichols from Oxford FC and Greys Flora were awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘Tropical Dream’
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC and Greys Flora was awarded Silver in class ‘Tropical Dream’
- Jackie Page from Bicester FC and Club 2000 was awarded Silver in class ‘Formation’
- Barbara Hunt and Gillian Harries from Newbury FC were awarded Bronze in class ‘Tropical Dream’
Photos will be available shortly
GDPR – General Data Protection Regulations
New laws for data protection come into effect on 25th May. In order to demonstrate how the area complies with these regulations a set of documents and forms have been prepared and are available under the Admin section of this website. These will be reviewed at least annually and updated as required.
- BBandO Data Protection Policy under the Area Management section defines how the area will comply
- BBandO Data Protection Agreement Form is a form under the Area Management section which must be completed annually by Area Officers, Area Representatives, JDSE personnel and anyone else whose contact details are published on this website.
- BBandO Data Protection Guidelines for Clubs under the Club Management section gives advice to clubs on how they could comply
- BBandO Data Protection Club Contacts on Web Agreement Form is a form under the Media Officers and Secretaries sections which must be completed annually by club officers whose contact details are published on club pages of this website
- An updated BB&O Club Record Form is a form available under the Secretaries section, which must be completed annually by club secretaries
16th March – Easter Eggstravaganza – Photos now available
Many thanks to Alison, Irene, Jane, Frances and everyone else who contributed to making the Easter Eggstravaganza event such a success – lots of hard work by the committee and helpers! A enjoyable day was had by all, with demonstrations, Ready-Steady-Snip, competitions, retail therapy, lunch and tea, and lots of eggs. The event raised £1839 towards the Footsteps Flower Festival, where the proceeds will be shared between the Footsteps Foundation (a very worthy charity which helps children with neurological disorders) and Dorchester Abbey
Decorated Egg competition – winner according to public vote was Carol Doughty from Wantage FC, and according to national judge Anna Steven the winner was Ann Dawson from Bladon & Woodstock FC.
Easter Basket competition – winner according to public vote was Sue Starr from Stony Stratford FC, and according to national judge Anna Steven the winner was Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC
Chocolate Quiz competition – see Chocolate quiz for the quiz questions and answers. Details of the winner tbs when I have the information.
Thames Valley Flower Club visit Brookfields Special Needs School
On Wednesday 7th February 2018, Club Chairman Lesley Henderson and other Committee Members visited Brookfields Special Needs School in Tilehurst for the Students Careers Week. This is the third year the club has sent representatives from the Club.
The students attending were very enthusiastic about choosing the flowers and foliage and proceeded to create individual designs, of which they were most proud and were able to take them home. All students thoroughly enjoyed the workshop and found it stimulating and an interesting morning and look forward to the next visit.
New NAFAS guidelines and letters are available to help club committees. Follow these links:
- Club Chairmen should view NAFAS Rescue Plan for Ailing Clubs and NAFAS New Member Letter
- Club Treasurers should view NAFAS Club Annual Financial Health Check and NAFAS Insurance Guidelines
RHS Chelsea Flower Arranging Schedule now available. Application. Deadline extended to 21st Feb
News from the 2017 AGM
The rose bowl for the club raising the most money for charity in 2017 was presented to Briony Newport from Oxford Flower Club for raising £3385.80, the proceeds going to Myeloma UK, Fyfield Church, OXSRAD and Oxford Flexiecare. Based on information supplied by 21 clubs the area donated a total of £13193.35 to various charities.
The silver platter for the club which had the largest increase in orders for the Flower Arranger was presented to Meg Hooper from Chieveley Flower Club.
The new Penelope Everett trophy for the BB&O Person of the Year was presented to Shirley Sexton for the significant achievements on the media front.
Brenda Copas, Chairman of Greys Flora, presented to the area a new award, the Diane GIll Memorial Trophy, provided by Diane’s husband Cliff. This will be awarded annually in future for most innovative contemporary design of the year.
Thame Flower Club brought Pudsey Bear and raised £200 for Children in Need. They also commented how much they had all enjoyed the meeting, lunch and demonstration, and how fantastic the stage looked at the end of the demonstration.
11 Nov 2017 – BB&O Awards at the Festive Flower and Food Show
Class 4 (Craft Class): By the Winter Fireside
Highly Commended – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern, and Greys Flora
Class 16: Skewered
Very Highly Commended: Susie Barwick from Phoenix
Commended – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern, and Greys Flora
Aylesbury Flower Club Charity Fundraising Day
As a direct result of some little cupcake flower arrangements left around Aylesbury town as ‘Lonely Bouquets’ this year, Aylesbury Flower Club were invited to take part in the ‘Dare to Wear it Pink Day’ activities in the town centre on Saturday 30th September which raised money for Cancer Research.
Members of the club donated money or collected small containers such as cups and saucers, little dishes, mugs and cupcake cases and did arrangements in them and then volunteers manned the stall to sell the flowers on the day. In the end there were well over 100 arrangements with one lady popping home to make more during the day when the number of arrangements dropped and it became obvious we could sell more.
In total we raised an amazing £450 which was almost a quarter of the total raised on the day.
July 2017 – Berkshire Blooms on Peach Quest – Radio Berks
On Saturday 8th July a team from BB&O took part in the Peach Quest on Radio Berkshire – and got the Peach! This is an Anneka Rice type treasure hunt with the team in the studio solving cryptic clues and directing a driver and assistant around the county to find the next clue. The aim is to solve all 5 clues within the 3 hour programme and find the peach.. The team (left to right) consisted of Elizabeth Moffitt (Caversham), Shirley Sexton (Area Media Officer), Siobhan Pilkington (Maidenhead and Alison Mount (Area Chairman). Vernon Harwood presented the programme on behalf of Andrew Peach.
We took every opportunity to publicise NAFAS and BB&O, and encouraged listeners to visit one of our clubs and mention ‘Peach Quest’. Please could all clubs make these visitors welcome and encourage them to come back.
25 June 2017 – see Blenheim Results 2017
May 2017 – Awards at Chelsea
Congratulations to BB&O winners at Chelsea. As an area we did really well this year.
Jane Belcher – Gold and Best in 1st Session in class ‘In Suspense’
Theresa Rodriques – Gold and Best in 2nd Session in class ‘In Suspense’
Shirley Sexton and Sara Steward from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club – Gold in class ‘The Cutting Edge’
Gillian Harries and Barbara Hunt from Newbury Floral Society – Gold in class ‘The Cutting Edge’
Tan Strong from Phoenix Design – Silver Gilt in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
Irene Manson and Jane Haas from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club – Silver in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
Lorraine Saunders from Design Scents – Silver in class ‘In Suspense’
Frances Buchan and Jackie Nichols from Oxford Flower Club – Bronze in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
June Potter and Stephanie Peniket from Burnham Floral Art Society – Bronze in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
15 May 2017 – Highlight awards at Malvern Spring Flower Show
Congratulations to BB&O award winners::
Ann Sinclair from Club 2000 and Chalfont – Gold and Best in Show, Ann’s daughter, Helen Sinclair, from the London and Overseas Area was also awarded a gold medal.
Jenny Clarke from Thames Valley – Runner-up to Best in Show, and ‘Best Use of Foliage’.
Angela Edmonds from Oxford – silver in class ‘At the Celebrity Chef Table’
Didn’t they do well!
28 April 2017 – Competition winners at Best of British
Congratulations to Siobhan Pilkington from Maidenhead Flower Club for winning the Crown Jewels competition and Sue Starr from from Stony Stratford for her Strawberries and Cream depiction in the Best of British, design in a small plant pot competition. Also to the winner of the photographic competition: Lorna Levett from Caversham and Chiltern Flower Club.
23 April 2017 – Silver at Harrogate
Congratulations to Lorraine Saunders, Jeanette Bell and Jane Melville from Design Scents who represented the BB&O Area at the Harrogate Spring Flower Show. Their depiction of Ralph Lauren in the area class Hort Couture was awarded a silver medal.
16 March 2017 – Club Officers Day Notes
To see the full Powerpoint presentation from the Club Officers Day on 16th March 2017 go to Club Officers Day 2017