It is with great sadness we report the recent death of Colin Watson. Colin was the area photography rep for several years, and will always be remembered for work he did setting up the BB&O On-Line Photo Albums. Colin also served on the national photography committee for several years
Maureen was a past President of BBandO and sadly she passed away on Saturday 16th November. Maureen became Chairman in 2000, was Vice President from 2001 – 2003 and President from 2004 – 2007. The funeral will be private but the memorial service will be held at St Mary’s North Leigh at 2.30pm on Wednesday 4th December.
News from the 2019 AGM
The rose bowl for the club raising the most money for charity in 2018 was awarded to Thames Valley Flower Club for raising £1,580.
The silver platter for the club which had the largest increase in orders for the Flower Arranger was awarded to Helen Smith from Wantage Flower Club.
The Penelope Everett silver bowl for the BB&O Person of the Year was presented to Catherine Lee from Wantage Flower Club in recognition of her outstanding work in turning this club round from one which almost closed to one which is now thriving..
The Diane Gill Memorial Trophy for the most innovative contemporary design of the year in any RHS, Area or NAFAS show was awarded to Jane Belcher for her petite design at the Blenheim Palace Flower Show, which was awarded Judges. Choice – see the Blenheim album under Photos.
Jane Haas was elected as the new Area Chairman; Maureen Preston as Vice-Chairman; Rosemary McGowan as Area President; Alison Mount as Area Vice President; Jackie Page as Chairman of JDSE; and Catherine Lee as Area Photography Rep. Treasurer. All other posts remain unchanged except for that of Area Secretary which remains vacant. PLEASE – if anyone feels they could take on or share the role of area secretary please contact Jane Haas. Anne Fearn was heartily thanked for the 11 years she has served as an area officer. Appropriate gifts were presented.
Jean Barker from Thame Flower Club brought Pudsey Bear and raised £242 for Children in Need
After lunch Alison Mount, Glenis Smith, Anna Steven and Pat Collinson delighted attendees as ‘ ALoad of Old Chairs’.
AREA AGM – 15th Novmber: Tickets for the lunch and demonstration are sold out, but any BB&O member can attend the meeting 10.30-12.00. To satisfy Health and Safety commitments at Benson we need to know who is in the building, so on arrival please sign in on the supplied sheets and tick the appropriate column(s):
Meeting only / Dem / Eating In / Eating Out.
Tickets for ‘A Passage to India’ the BB&O Area Day on 27th March will be on sale at the AGM. A flier and application form will be on the Area Events page shortly, including a menu choice for the hot lunch. Please ensure you have menu choices for all those you may be buying tickets for.
Please follow links below to see recently added information:
Area Events has dates and some information for 2020 events – BB&O’s Diamond Anniversary. More announcements will be made at the AGM.
NAFAS Events has information about ‘Welcome to the Twenties’, the NAFAS residential weekend 7-9th August 2020.
Local Events has information about:
– Judith Blacklock flower arranging evening in Windsor on Friday 15th November
– Victorian Yuletide event at Windsor Castle on Saturday 7th December. As well as other activities for all the family, 7 BB&O and 2 Surrey Area Flower Clubs will be staging table top Christmas trees, each representing one of Queen Victoria’s children.
Beyond Our Area has information about:
– Sussex Area Show, 20-23 August
– RHS Malvern Spring Flower Show schedule and applicaton form
– Dates for 2020 RHS and County Show – at least ones that are published at this stage
Club Special Events has information about lots of club Christmas events and open meetings.
Area Workshops has the application form for the workshop at Benson on 5th December. Pat Dibben will be teaching garlands and swags, and Alison Mount will be teaching a star shaped table arrangements. Non-NAFAS members welcome.
The Area Management tab now has a section Area Staging and Trophies which has a full catalogue of these area assets.
The Programme Secretaries section includes the recommended flower allowance of £120 for 2020.
BB&O Successes at the NAFAS Diamond Show
Congratulations to the following BB&O members :
- Sandie Draper (our newest area demonstrator) was First in Class 1 – Shaped by Nature
- Jane Belcher was Second in Class 14 – Suspense
- Shirley Sexton was Very Highly Commended in Class 10 – Frills and Spills
- Jane Haas was Highly Commended in Class 14 – Suspense
- Sally Hardy and Linda Dawson (Phoenix Design) were Commended in Class 5 – Arabesque
- Pera Dean was Commended in Class 21 – European Master
- Jayne King was Commended in Class 23 – Diamond Dazzler
Our Area Chairman, Alison Mount, represented us in Timeless Beauty – the Designer of the Year competition. She staged a pedestal and hanging design the first day, and a petite and still life on the second day. Sadly she did not get through to the final, but the public showed significant interest, particularly in her amazing classic pedestal. Well done Alison.
Photos are available under the Photos tab.
Follow these links to recent updates on this website
- Local Events: Waterperry Gardens flower festival 21-22 Sep
- Local Events: Winter Flora Tales by Mig Kimpton 29 Nov in Maidenhead
- NAFAS 2019 Christmas Cards order information – Admin/Publications Officers
- If programme secretaries would like to collect Blue Forms at the Sep council meeting please email Area Secretary BEFORE 26th August. See Admin/Programme Secretaries for more information
- 2019 Club Charity Donations form – see Admin/Treasurers
- 2019 Club Awards form – see Admin/Secretaries
- 2020 form for receiving printed copies of area council meetings – see Admin/Area Management
Results at Blenheim Palace Flower Show
Congratulations to the following on their special awards:
Best in Show: Alison Mount in Class 8 – Illusions
Runner-up to Best in Show: Maidenhead Flower Club in Class 1 – The Big Top
Best Use of Colour: Jane Belcher in Class 6 – Flying Trapeze
Best Use of Foliage: Jan Gregory in Class 2 – In the Spotlight
Best Interpretation: Maidenhead Flower Club in Class 1 – The Big Top
Judges Choice: Jane Belcher in Class 8 – Illusions
Flower Arranger Award: Catherine Lee in Class 3 – Clowning Around
BB&O Area Cup for Photograhy: Patricia Anchors in Class 10 – In the Spotlight
People’s Choice for Imposed class: Lynda Ayris
For a full list of results see 2019 Blenheim Palace Flower Show Results
Recent updates on the website
- Area Events – outline information for the AGM and the 2020 Area Day, plus updates re Blenheim
- Local Events – Berkshire Show and some other local show schedules
- Beyond our Area – Details of the Shrewsbury show – clubs can get financial help for entering the club class
- NAFAS and WAFA Events – Extra information about the Diamond Show, including the coach booking form. Also informaton and links regarding WAFA India
- Club Special Events – details of forthcoming club special event
- Area Workshops – Dates, worksheets and application forms for forthcoming workshops
- Other Learning Opportunities and Club Practical Sessions – links and summaries of learning opportunities in addition to area workshops
- Focal Points – PDF of the Summer edition
- Photos – new photo albums
Successes at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
Congratulations to the following on their awards at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Jane Belcher from Oxford Flower Club, BB&O Teachers Association and Greys Flora achieved Gold in Class D, Silhouette
- Gillian Harries and Barbara Hunt from Newbury Floral Society achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Susie Barwick and Sandie Draper from Phoenix Design achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Silver Gilt in Class C, Diamond Days
- Melissa Fletcher from Abingdon Flower Club achieved Bronze in Class C, Diamond Days
- Theresa Rodrigues (one of our area demonstrators) achieved Silver in Class B, Avant Garde
- Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Bronze in Class B, Avant Garde
Successes at RHS Malvern Spring Show
Congratulations to the following on their awards at RHS Malvern:
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford Flower Club and Greys Flora achieved Silver in Class 2, View from a Window
- Stephanie Peniket (one of our trainee demonstrators) from Gerrards Cross Flower Club achieved 3rd in Class 6, Kaleidoscope
- Barbara Bowman from Oxford Flower Club achieved Very Highly Commended in Class 7, Pop Art
- Marion Daleki was awarded 1st for her miniature and 3rd for her petite
- Jan Gregory was awarded 1st for her entry in the craft clss.
Highlights from A Night at the Movies
What an amazing day was had by all on Friday 22nd March. Many thanks to Alison, Irene, Jane, Frances and everyone else who contributed to making it such a success.
The fist batch of photos are now on the area Movie Night Album, more to follow when Mary returns from holiday.
The competition winners were:
Fit for a Diva:-Judge’s Choice – Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC. People’s Choice – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC.
Ice Cream Sundae:-Judge’s Choice – Catherine Lee from Wantage FC. People’s Choice – Pat Chermside from Royal WIndsor.
After a tie-breaker involving 5 competitors the winner of the Movie Quiz was Jenny Horton. Download 2019 Movies Quiz Answers if you would like to see the answers. Please contact Irene Manson if you would like to borrow the quiz sheets for club or family events.
After the success of the Footsteps Flower Festival several people commented it would be a good idea to produce cards with some of the images. The first packs of cards (reference DORCHESTER-1) are now available in pack of 6 cards with envelopes for £4. These will be on sale at all area events in the foreseeable future, or can be ordered by emailing BB&O Trading.
For archive 2018 News see News 2018
For archive 2017 News see News 2017