26th June 2018 – Awards at Blenheim Palace Flower Show
Best in Show: Margaret Lang & Sue John from Bladon & Woodstock Flower in Class 3
Runner-Up to Best in Show: Jane Haas & Shirley Sexton from Greys Flora in Class 4
See 2018 Blenheim Palace Show Results for the full set of awards
6th June 2018 – Masquerade Winner – Jane Haas
Jane Haas won the area round of the WAFA Elimination competition at Benson on 4th June. She will now go on to represent the area at the national Masquerade event in Leicester in August. We wish her the best of luck. Photos of the other 3 entries will be available shortly, but for the time being we will not be publishing Jane’s design as we would not wish to compromise her entry in Leicester
25th May 2018 – Congratulations on RHS Malvern and Chelsea Awards
At RHS Malvern Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC and Greys Flora was awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘A Light Bulb Moment’
At RHS Chelsea:
- Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC and Greys Flora was awarded Gold in class ‘Light and Shadow’ and Best in 2nd Session
- Jane Belcher from Oxford FC and BB&O Teachers Association was awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘Formation’
- Frances Buchan and Jackie Nichols from Oxford FC and Greys Flora were awarded Silver Gilt in class ‘Tropical Dream’
- Angela Edmonds from Oxford FC and Greys Flora was awarded Silver in class ‘Tropical Dream’
- Jackie Page from Bicester FC and Club 2000 was awarded Silver in class ‘Formation’
- Barbara Hunt and Gillian Harries from Newbury FC were awarded Bronze in class ‘Tropical Dream’
Photos will be available shortly
20th May 2018 – There’s still time to
Buy tickets for the Derek Armstrong Demonstration in Maidenhead on 25th May. Phone Jane Haas on 0118 984 1212. For more information see Area Events
Enter the competition at Blenheim Palace Flower Show. Deadline extended. For the schedule and entry form see Area Events
GDPR – General Data Protection Regulations
New laws for data protection come into effect on 25th May. In order to demonstrate how the area complies with these regulations a set of documents and forms have been prepared and are available under the Admin section of this website. These will be reviewed at least annually and updated as required.
- BBandO Data Protection Policy under the Area Management section defines how the area will comply
- BBandO Data Protection Agreement Form is a form under the Area Management section which must be completed annually by Area Officers, Area Representatives, JDSE personnel and anyone else whose contact details are published on this website.
- BBandO Data Protection Guidelines for Clubs under the Club Management section gives advice to clubs on how they could comply
- BBandO Data Protection Club Contacts on Web Agreement Form is a form under the Media Officers and Secretaries sections which must be completed annually by club officers whose contact details are published on club pages of this website
- An updated BB&O Club Record Form is a form available under the Secretaries section, which must be completed annually by club secretaries
Don’t forget National Flower Arranging Day – 4th May
National Flower Arranging Day and the Friendship Bouquet campaign will be on Friday 4th May. See Admin/Media Officers for the BB&O tag which clubs can download and amend to add to bouquets and publicity designs
16th March – Easter Eggstravaganza – Photos now available
Many thanks to Alison, Irene, Jane, Frances and everyone else who contributed to making the Easter Eggstravaganza event such a success – lots of hard work by the committee and helpers! A enjoyable day was had by all, with demonstrations, Ready-Steady-Snip, competitions, retail therapy, lunch and tea, and lots of eggs. The event raised £1839 towards the Footsteps Flower Festival, where the proceeds will be shared between the Footsteps Foundation (a very worthy charity which helps children with neurological disorders) and Dorchester Abbey
Decorated Egg competition – winner according to public vote was Carol Doughty from Wantage FC, and according to national judge Anna Steven the winner was Ann Dawson from Bladon & Woodstock FC.
Easter Basket competition – winner according to public vote was Sue Starr from Stony Stratford FC, and according to national judge Anna Steven the winner was Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern FC
Chocolate Quiz competition – see Chocolate quiz for the quiz questions and answers. Details of the winner tbs when I have the information.
Anybody got any suggestions for a similar event next year?
Winter Moments event in Bruges in November (and hence the BB&O trip) is CANCELLED
New information on Area Events page:
- With a Hint of Imagination: Application form for Area Demonstration on 25th May
- BB&O WAFA Elimination Competition at the Area Council meeting in Benson on 4th June to choose a BB&O candidate for the national WAFA elimination competition
- Viewing dates, 12/13 April and mileage claims forms for clubs exhibiting at the Footsteps Flower Festival
- Blenheim Palace Flower Show 22-24th June: Schedule and entry form for the open competition, plus Letter and form for volunteers for stewarding
New information on NAFAS Events page
- Details of open demonstration by Norwegian designer Stein are Hansen on 21st April
- Details of NAFAS National Demonstrators Test 29-30 October
New Information on Local Events page
- Details of Southern Demonstrators teaching demonstration on 28 April
- Details of Angela Edmonds open garden 9-10 June
New information on Area Day Schools page: Application form and worksheet for day school on Sat 12th May now available. Open to anyone.
Thames Valley Flower Club visit Brookfields Special Needs School
On Wednesday 7th February 2018, Club Chairman Lesley Henderson and other Committee Members visited Brookfields Special Needs School in Tilehurst for the Students Careers Week. This is the third year the club has sent representatives from the Club.
The students attending were very enthusiastic about choosing the flowers and foliage and proceeded to create individual designs, of which they were most proud and were able to take them home. All students thoroughly enjoyed the workshop and found it stimulating and an interesting morning and look forward to the next visit.
New NAFAS guidelines and letters are available to help club committees. Follow these links:
- Club Chairmen should view NAFAS Rescue Plan for Ailing Clubs and NAFAS New Member Letter
- Club Treasurers should view NAFAS Club Annual Financial Health Check and NAFAS Insurance Guidelines
RHS Chelsea Flower Arranging Schedule now available. Application. Deadline extended to 21st Feb
.Study Days with Jonathan Moseley at Woburn Abbey: See Learning Opportunities
Jazz up Your January – £150 for the Footsteps flower festival was raised by members of F&GP and the flower festival committee at a Bring and Share Lunch on 11th January. Everyone bought a plate of food and paid £10 towards exhibits at the festival. A pleasant time was had by all.
What skills do you have? The area is trying to develop a register of people in the area who may have skills or assets that might prove useful on occasions – see Skills Register Request. At this stage we are particularly looking for qualified first aiders to help at the area flower festival in Dorchester Abbey 28-30 Sep. If you can help please email Area Chairman or phone Alison Mount on 01753 868 320
NAFAS YouTube Channel: See the latest NAFAS How To .. videos on youtube.com/c/NAFASFlower
Deaths: We are sorry to learn about the recent deaths of
– Winefride (Terry) Hadland, aged 95, who was editor of Scene on Three (the fore-runner to Focal Points) for a number of years in the 1980’s
– Molly Coles, age 91, who was a well-known member of Windrush and Cotswold Flower Clubs.
– Joan Owen, National Associate of Honour for Surrey. See Obituary for Joan Owen – Nov 201
News from the 2017 AGM
The rose bowl for the club raising the most money for charity in 2017 was presented to Briony Newport from Oxford Flower Club for raising £3385.80, the proceeds going to Myeloma UK, Fyfield Church, OXSRAD and Oxford Flexiecare. Based on information supplied by 21 clubs the area donated a total of £13193.35 to various charities.
The silver platter for the club which had the largest increase in orders for the Flower Arranger was presented to Meg Hooper from Chieveley Flower Club.
The new Penelope Everett trophy for the BB&O Person of the Year was presented to Shirley Sexton for the significant achievements on the media front.
Brenda Copas, Chairman of Greys Flora, presented to the area a new award, the Diane GIll Memorial Trophy, provided by Diane’s husband Cliff. This will be awarded annually in future for most innovative contemporary design of the year.
Thame Flower Club brought Pudsey Bear and raised £200 for Children in Need. They also commented how much they had all enjoyed the meeting, lunch and demonstration, and how fantastic the stage looked at the end of the demonstration.
11 Nov 2017 – BB&O Awards at the Festive Flower and Food Show
Class 4 (Craft Class): By the Winter Fireside
Highly Commended – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern, and Greys Flora
Class 16: Skewered
Very Highly Commended: Susie Barwick from Phoenix
Commended – Shirley Sexton from Caversham & Chiltern, and Greys Flora
Aylesbury Flower Club Charity Fundraising Day
As a direct result of some little cupcake flower arrangements left around Aylesbury town as ‘Lonely Bouquets’ this year, Aylesbury Flower Club were invited to take part in the ‘Dare to Wear it Pink Day’ activities in the town centre on Saturday 30th September which raised money for Cancer Research.
Members of the club donated money or collected small containers such as cups and saucers, little dishes, mugs and cupcake cases and did arrangements in them and then volunteers manned the stall to sell the flowers on the day. In the end there were well over 100 arrangements with one lady popping home to make more during the day when the number of arrangements dropped and it became obvious we could sell more.
In total we raised an amazing £450 which was almost a quarter of the total raised on the day.
July 2017 – Berkshire Blooms on Peach Quest – Radio Berks
On Saturday 8th July a team from BB&O took part in the Peach Quest on Radio Berkshire – and got the Peach! This is an Anneka Rice type treasure hunt with the team in the studio solving cryptic clues and directing a driver and assistant around the county to find the next clue. The aim is to solve all 5 clues within the 3 hour programme and find the peach.. The team (left to right) consisted of Elizabeth Moffitt (Caversham), Shirley Sexton (Area Media Officer), Siobhan Pilkington (Maidenhead and Alison Mount (Area Chairman). Vernon Harwood presented the programme on behalf of Andrew Peach.
We took every opportunity to publicise NAFAS and BB&O, and encouraged listeners to visit one of our clubs and mention ‘Peach Quest’. Please could all clubs make these visitors welcome and encourage them to come back.
25 June 2017 – see Blenheim Results 2017
May 2017 – Awards at Chelsea
Congratulations to BB&O winners at Chelsea. As an area we did really well this year.
Jane Belcher – Gold and Best in 1st Session in class ‘In Suspense’
Theresa Rodriques – Gold and Best in 2nd Session in class ‘In Suspense’
Shirley Sexton and Sara Steward from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club – Gold in class ‘The Cutting Edge’
Gillian Harries and Barbara Hunt from Newbury Floral Society – Gold in class ‘The Cutting Edge’
Tan Strong from Phoenix Design – Silver Gilt in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
Irene Manson and Jane Haas from Caversham & Chiltern Flower Club – Silver in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
Lorraine Saunders from Design Scents – Silver in class ‘In Suspense’
Frances Buchan and Jackie Nichols from Oxford Flower Club – Bronze in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
June Potter and Stephanie Peniket from Burnham Floral Art Society – Bronze in class ‘Enchanted Garden’
15 May 2017 – Highlight awards at Malvern Spring Flower Show
Congratulations to BB&O award winners::
Ann Sinclair from Club 2000 and Chalfont – Gold and Best in Show, Ann’s daughter, Helen Sinclair, from the London and Overseas Area was also awarded a gold medal.
Jenny Clarke from Thames Valley – Runner-up to Best in Show, and ‘Best Use of Foliage’.
Angela Edmonds from Oxford – silver in class ‘At the Celebrity Chef Table’
Didn’t they do well!
28 April 2017 – Competition winners at Best of British
Congratulations to Siobhan Pilkington from Maidenhead Flower Club for winning the Crown Jewels competition and Sue Starr from from Stony Stratford for her Strawberries and Cream depiction in the Best of British, design in a small plant pot competition. Also to the winner of the photographic competition: Lorna Levett from Caversham and Chiltern Flower Club.
23 April 2017 – Silver at Harrogate
Congratulations to Lorraine Saunders, Jeanette Bell and Jane Melville from Design Scents who represented the BB&O Area at the Harrogate Spring Flower Show. Their depiction of Ralph Lauren in the area class Hort Couture was awarded a silver medal.
16 March 2017 – Club Officers Day Notes
To see the full Powerpoint presentation from the Club Officers Day on 16th March 2017 go to Club Officers Day 2017